The members of Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts are daffy for scary attractions, and they know what they like.
For the last 10 years DAFE - pronounced ''daffy'' - has let its members vote on their favorite rides and walk-through attractions nationwide, and the group founded by Rick Davis of Vienna announced this year's picks earlier this month.
''We don't say these are the best attractions; we say these are our favorites,'' Davis said.
The group boasts about 400 members, including a few from overseas, but Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey and California have the most DAFE members.
''It makes sense because that's where most of the rides are,'' Davis said.
Haunted Mansion at Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, Pa., topped the list for favorite dark ride, a position its held as long as the survey has existed. It received twice as many votes as the Haunted Mansion at Disney's Magic Kingdom in Orlando, Fla.
The rest of the top 10 is:
3. Whacky Shack - Waldemeer Park, Erie, Pa.
4. Ghostwood Estate - Kennywood Park, West Mifflin, Pa.
5. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman - Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure, Orlando, Fla.
6. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - Disney's Hollywood Studio, Orlando, Fla.
7. Haunted Mansion - Funland, Rehoboth Beach, Del.
8. Haunted Mansion - Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif.
9. Pirates of the Caribbean - Disneyland Resort, Paris, France
10. Haunted House - Trimper's Rides, Ocean City, Md.
While some attractions, like Knoebels' Haunted Mansion, appear every year, Davis said new attractions make the list and other drop off each year.
''We do see some variation,'' he said. ''A lot of times we'll see new attractions pop up, particularly when we've done an event there.''
DAFE doesn't consider Halloween-themed haunted houses in its rankings, only year-round or summer/seasonal attractions. And some of those businesses tout their DAFE rankings in their publicity materials.
The top 10 walk-through attractions are:
1. Noah's Ark - Kennywood Park, West Mifflin, Pa.
2. Pirates Cove - Waldameer Park, Erie, Pa.
3. Frankenstein's Castle -Indiana Beach Amusement Resort, Monticello, Ind.
4. Ghostly Manor - Sandusky
5. Ghost Ship - Morey's Piers, Wildwood, N.J.
6. Funhouse - Jenkinson's Beach Boardwalk, Point Pleasant, N.J.
7. Confusion Hill - Idlewild Park, Ligonier, Pa
8. Mysterious Mansion -Gatlinburg, Tenn.
9. Pirates Cove - Trimper's Rides Ocean City, Md.
10. Nightmare Mansion - Virginia Beach, Va.
Davis said he tries to get to new attractions whenever they open, at least as much as his budget will allow.
''Ghost Ship in Wildwood, N.J., that has to be the most impressive new attraction I've seen,'' Davis said. ''Just walking up to it. It's huge.''